* Get a home inspection! This will be the smartest money you have ever spent. Before you invest your hard earned money in a home you want to be entirely sure that the home is sturdy, up to code, safe, and free of need for expensive repairs!
* Get pre-approved for a mortgage loan BEFORE you start house hunting. There is nothing worse than falling in love with a house out of your price range or having a home bought before you can get the paperwork together for the loan. Being prepared can make all the difference!
* Make a realistic wish list of what you can afford. Rank the things that are most important at the top. The fact is that most homes are not going to meet your every whim but as long as they have the essentials you don’t want to rule it out.
* Get everything in writing. While you want to believe that you can trust everyone on their word it is simply a smarter business decision to have everything in writing. Specifically you will want the sellers to put every component of the deal on paper.
* Let your realtor do your talking. Any communication with the seller should go through your realtor as to avoid any miscommunication or misunderstanding. Your realtor has experience dealing with sellers and other agents and is better equipped to handle the nitty gritty of the real estate world.