Now is the time to start prepping for your Fourth of July cookout. And whether you are hosting it or attending one it is always fun to wow your fellow attendees with a festive take on a delicious dish. Here are a few ideas that will be sure to make you the hit of the cookout.
* Red, White and Blue Deviled Eggs: If you are anything like me, deviled eggs are one of the best parts of a cookout/pitch-in dinner. You can turn these food favorites into a red, white, and blue piece of art with simple food coloring. Hard boil, peel, and halve your eggs like usual but before adding the filling drop the egg whites into red or blue food coloring while leaving some white as well and then set out to dry. Fill eggs as usual and then display in the pattern of a flag. The final result is patriotic and delicious!
* Red, White and Blue Fruit Salad: This salad is as simple as it is delicious. With the added feta crumbles this salad has a lot of depth and a bevvy of different flavors. This is sure to be a favorite even when it is not the Fourth of July! (If you don’t want to mix together as a salad you can also display in the pattern of a flag as shown in the picture)
* Red, White and Blue Water: Yep, you heard that correctly, your water can even sport the colors of America this year. This works best if you have a large, see-through water pitcher. Simply freeze blueberries and place them in the bottom of the pitcher, add a generous helping of ice next and fill 3/4 of the way with water. Add fresh strawberries to the top and voila, a refreshing burst of patriotism and a delicious hint of flavor to your water.
* Red, White and Blue Rice Krispie Treats: You can’t forget to bring dessert to a cookout and anyone who has ever made rice krispie treats can attest that there is not much easier than making rice krispie treats. All you need is 6 cups of rice krispie cereal, 1 package of marshmallows, 3 TBS of butter, and red and blue food coloring. Follow these simple instructions to get a layered patriotic dessert that will be a hit with the adults as well as the kids.
* Red, White and Blue Martini: You will surely make plenty of friends with this fun and festive red, white and blue cocktail! Plus the ingredients won’t cost you an arm and a leg. All you need is 2 oz hypnotiq, 1 oz citrus vodka, lemon lime soda, and grenadine. Combine the first two ingredients and a splash of soda. Shake with ice and strain into your martini glass. Carefully pour in a small amount of grenadine. This should fall to the bottom of the glass, creating a nice layered effect. Add a white garnish like shaved coconut or white chocolate. Enjoy!