I cannot stress enough the importance of staging your home to put it on the market. While it doesn’t necessarily have to be done by a professional home stager (although it is recommended) you can draw some tips from them to do yourself. Despite the solid financial proof that home staging can increase the appeal, selling price, interest, and speed at which you sell your house there are still those doubters out there. Here are a few of the reasons that many clients give for not wanting to stage their home.
* It costs too much: While there are undoubtedly costs associated with a professional home stager I have never seen the amount exceed the amount that we have had to reduce home prices due to lack of interest. This is a prime example of having to spend money to make money.
* We can’t stage the house, we live in it: Believe it or not these are 2 things that can be done simultaneously. In fact a professional home stager will stage your home, give you tips on keeping it show ready, and still leave all of the essentials for you to go about your everyday life.
* We want to put it on the market for awhile before we try home staging: While in theory this sounds like a perfectly logical and conservative plan. Unfortunately we as humans base most of our existence off of first impressions. If a potential buyer sees your home (un-staged) and weren’t thrilled with what they saw there is not much of a chance they will even take a second look if you stage your home after a few months on the market. In their head they have already crossed your home off the list.
* Everyone loves our house: While this may be true (or they may just be being nice) the fact of the matter is that today’s buyers are looking for specific things. I think it is hard for sellers (myself included) to wrap their head around the fact that someone could find something wrong with this beautiful home they have poured their time, money, and effort into. By allowing an unbiased person such as a home stager to spruce up your home you are helping to ensure that you are adhering to what home buyers are looking for.
* We can declutter and clean the home ourselves: Great… and you should! But (and this is a big but…) there is much more to home staging than simply removing things. A professional home stager can distinguish between clutter and an asset, can find the balance between decluttered and barren, and understand the importance of highlighting desirable architectural features, lighting, and flow of furniture.